A trademark is a type of intellectual property that consists of a recognizable sign, design or expression that differentiates products or services from one source to another. Trademarks used to identify services are usually called service marks. Once registered, a trademark is valid for 10 years from the date of filing which can be renewed.
The important thing to understand is that there is a lot of difference between Trademarks and Company name i.e. Trademark is a Registration of Logo wherein Company name is registering a company or a legal entity as per the Companies Act, 2013.
Documents Required to register trademark India
- Copy of PAN Card / Passport / Driving License / Voter ID Card
- A Scanned copy of Company Registration Certificate
- Signed Trademark Application
- Brand / Logo name
- Copy of MSME Registration Certificate in case an applicant is a company.
- User Affidavit
Who needs to apply for a trademark?
- The proprietor of the trademark can apply for the registration of its mark for goods as well services.
- Companies such as Private Limited, OPC, LLP, Foreign Subsidiary etc apply for a trademark that becomes a well known trademark increases their brand value
- Firm – Application by a firm should be made in the name of the partners.
- Government – The Union government or any state government can make an application. This applies to government undertakings. The application needs to be processed in the name of the respective department/government.
- Trust – The application can be made in the name of the trust.
- A person whose principal place of the business is in India can apply for registration of a trademark to the Trademark office. In case, the principal place of business is outside India, then the application can be filed in the Trademark office under whose jurisdiction the office of the lawyer appointed by you is located.
An individual, business organization or any legal entity can all register for a trademark. A package, a label, a voucher, or a product can all have trademarks on them. Trademarks have been legally recognized as intellectual property.
Apply for trademark online!
For more details regarding trademark registration online, call us at +91-9900328729, +91-80-40909797.